1900s (early) - American Company Laundry is established on Khyber Pass Road

1901 - Whittome and Steven's jam and pickle factory opens

1902 - The Newmarket section of Auckland's electric tramways opens before Christmas

1903 - The Newmarket Manual Training School is built on Mortimer Pass

1907 - Newmarket hosts the 'Gaslight Sports', reputed to be held in the most famous sports arena in New Zealand. The track lay between Khyber Pass Road and the railway and was originally called the 'Captain Cook Proprietary running track'. The first event was held on Wednesday 20 February

1908 – Te Ti Tutahi is cut down, considered a danger to children attending the nearby school. The Buckland family rescues some shoots

1910 - Approval is given for the erection of a firebell and tower on Newmarket Domain (now Lumsden Green)

1911 - Bank of New Zealand opens

1911 - The Adelphi cinema opens (later renamed as Broadway Cinema)

1912 - In September, the section of Manukau Road that runs through Newmarket from the Parnell boundary to the Epsom boundary is renamed Broadway

1912 - A loan is raised for the purpose of kerbing and channelling all footpaths in Newmarket, forming roadways and laying lithophalt blocks on Broadway

1913 - Auckland's first milk co-operative is established when the Auckland Farmers' Co-operative Milk Supply Co set up a factory and depot in Arthur Street

1914 - A picture house, known as Broadway Theatre, is erected

1914-1915 - Great Northern Brewery amalgamates with brewers Campbell and Ehrenfried and becomes known as Lion Brewery Company

1915 - Hill Top private school for girls opens

1917 - Hugh Gilmore rebrands to Smith & Caughey's

1918 - The Newmarket Council decides to rename Portland Street (off Khyber Pass Road), Crowhurst Street in recognition of the Crowhurst family’s signficant sacrifices during World War One. A well known Newmarket family, Samuel and Catherine Crowhurst had 12 children, with five of their sons volunteering to serve. Brothers Samuel Alfred Crowhurst, Arthur Frederick Crowhurst and Francis Ernest Crowhurst died during the war and are remembered at the war memorial in Olympic Park. You can read more about the Crowhurst brothers on the blog of historian Helen Vail's here

1920s - L.J. Keys begins a motorbus service, which extends to Newmarket

1920 - The Railway Union Hall is used as a social hall for railway workers

1920 – Dominion Motors opens

1920s - Rua Reoreo gully (Newmarket Park) was used as a tip by the Council and residents

1924 – Cashmore Bros Ltd opens

1924 - New borough municipal offices, incorporating a library, hall and shops, is erected on Manukau Road (now Broadway)

1925 – Rialto Picture Theatre opens

1925 - Bank of New South Wales opens

1925 - Commercial Bank of Australia opens

1925 - Abels Margarine Manufacturing Co opens

1925 - C.L. Innes (founders of the Waikato Brewery in Ngaruawahia) establish their head office in Newmarket

1925 - Schofield and Co opens on Broadway and becomes known as 'the home of Holden'

1926 - Outhwaite Park is created by the borough council on land formerly occupied by the Outhwaite house

1927 – Hayes Metal Refinery opens

1928 – Newmarket Dental Group opens

1930s-1940s - Work undertaken to develop Newmarket park as part of employment relief schemes following the Depression and World War Two

1930s - Morrow Taylor Footwear, makers of Gadabout shoes, is established

1931 - Kirkpatrick & Stevens Department store opens. Read more about Kirkpatrick & Stevens here

1934 - Henry Saunders and William Gavin establish Henrys, which becomes the largest drycleaning business in Newmarket

1934 - Charles Lees and Co establish their iron foundry on Kent Street

1935 - Bon Accord Cakes opens. Read more about Bon Accord Cakes here

1935 - A 50-year jubilee of the borough is held

1935 - Modelair, founded by Fred Macdonald, opens on Osborne Street

1937 - The Newmarket Business Association (NBA) is established

1939 – Olympic Pool begins construction

1939 - Station Road is renamed Teed Street

1940s - New American Milk Bar and Icecream parlour opens

1940s - Peter Hegglin's Broadway Pie Shop opens

1940s - Newmarket Park (then known as Sarawai Park) is used as an athletics stadium

1940 – Olympic Pool opens. It is the first 50 metre pool in New Zealand. Read more about the Olympic Pool here

The Olympic Pool during the 1950 British Empire Games, Newmarket, Auckland. Evening post (Newspaper. 1865-2002) :Photographic negatives and prints of the Evening Post newspaper. Ref: 114/125/43-F. Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand. /records/23013257

1941 - Vita Shoe Company opens. Read more about Vita Shoes here

1942 - Frisco's Hamburger and Coffee Bar opens

1945 - The Newmarket branch of Rotary is established

1948 - Bores are sunk in Newmarket in search of artesian water. Kauri is found 100 metres down into volcanic rock.

The Newmarket Business Association would also like to thank Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei, Dinah Holman and Di Goldsworthy for their research and contribution to this website.
The Newmarket Business Association would like to acknowledge the support of Waitematā Local Board in approving a grant towards the funding of this website and the installation of Newmarket's heritage signage throughout the precinct.